Silverlake Dental Emergencies
At Silverlake Smiles, we understand that dental emergencies can be a very stressful and painful experience. So we offer fast and effective dental care for our patients in Silverlake, CA, and the surrounding area. Our team can treat many issues, from tooth abscesses to lost fillings.
Types of Dental Emergencies
Our dental office sees a few different types of dental emergencies on a regular basis. These include:
- Knocked-out teeth. A completely knocked-out tooth is a serious dental emergency. If possible, try to find the tooth and bring it to the appointment. We may be able to re-implant the tooth when brought in quickly.
- Toothaches. Having a painful toothache can make it difficult to focus on anything else. Our team will work to assess the source of the pain and provide lasting relief.
- Sore and swollen gums. Severe infections or abscesses can cause the gums to become swollen and painful. We will work to clean the affected area and provide antibiotics as needed.
- Broken tooth. When dealing with a cracked or chipped tooth, it is critical to seek treatment right away. We will work to repair the tooth and minimize any further damage.
- Crown issues. A loose or fully detached crown can be a painful experience. We will work to reattach the dental implement and provide relief from the pain.
What Happens in an Emergency Dental Appointment
When dealing with a pressing dental issue, knowing what to do in the next hour can mean the difference between saving and losing a tooth.
When patients call our office, we will assess the problem and recommend what to do, whether to apply a cold compress, take pain medication, or rinse the mouth with salted warm water. We will then schedule a dental emergency appointment for the patient to come in as soon as possible.
During the appointment, our team will work quickly to determine the cause of the problem and devise a treatment plan. We go above and beyond to restore the patient’s oral health while ensuring comfort.
Ways To Prevent Dental Emergencies
While dental emergencies aren’t always avoidable, patients can do a few things to minimize the risk:
- Wear a mouthguard. During any contact sport or activity, it is crucial to wear a mouthguard to protect the teeth from being knocked out.
- Avoid chewing on hard objects. Chewing on ice, hard candy, or other tough foods can crack or chip teeth. It is best to stick to softer foods and snacks.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing regularly can help remove plaque and bacteria that can cause infections.
- See the dentist regularly. Routine dental checkups and cleanings can help identify any potential problems before they turn into an emergency.
At Silverlake Smiles, we are always here to offer professional assistance. We understand that dental emergencies can be very stressful, and our team will work quickly to provide relief. Contact us at (213) 631-7799 to schedule an appointment in Silverlake, CA, or nearby areas.